In this article, I’m going to explain how you can easily install WhatsApp on Chromebook devices. Yes, you read that right. You can also use WhatsApp to make audio & video calls from your Chromebook device.
- With recent developments in the Chromebooks, using and installing android apps on Chromebook is now possible.
- Developer Mode helps you in installing external android applications easily.
Install WhatsApp on Chromebook: Detailed Guide
Keeping all these in mind we at TechyCoder have researched and handpicked 3 hassle-free methods just for you to get started with our guide on how to install WhatsApp on Chromebook.
Now, you can use the regular method i.e; installing WhatsApp on a Chromebook device using PlayStore. There might be cases where you won’t find the Google PlayStore app on Chromebook. In such a case, we recommend using Method 2, and if you have the latest Chromebook you should already have access to google play store.
Method 1: Install and Use WhatsApp via Google play store
This method can only be used if you have a recent model of Chromebooks as google had promised a completely new user experience in the near future with regular updates to keep up with the competitor.
In most cases, you might find play store in taskbar or you can simply search for the Google Play Store app in your app drawer.
If you find PlayStore installed on your Chromebook, then just follow the steps below:
- Launch Play Store and search for WhatsApp Messenger.
- Now, click on the Install button to start downloading WhatsApp. Wait for download to complete. once completed, you will see the Open button to start WhatsApp.
- Click on “Agree and Continue” to accept WhatsApp’s Terms and Conditions to continue to the next step.
- Now, you will be asked to choose your country and enter your phone number for verification. Make sure the phone number you are entering must be active as you will receive a verification code.
- Enter your six-digit verification code that was sent on the phone number you entered.
- Once done, you will see a prompt to restore your chat backup from Google Drive if you have backed up any chats earlier. Click on the “Continue” button to restore data from Google Drive (check best Google Drive alternatives Free & Paid here!). Or you can click on “Not Now” to skip restore WhatsApp chat messages.
- Now, you will be asked to enter your WhatsApp Profile name and Profile photo.
That’s it! you should be able to install WhatsApp on Chromebook using Google PlayStore and use WhatsApp on Chromebook device. The latest Chromebooks provide support for different android applications.
Suggested: Learn detailed steps to install Snapchat on Chromebook in 2021.
Method 2: Install WhatsApp using APK (External Source)
If your Chromebook doesn’t have pre-installed PlayStore, then you can install WhatsApp using APK files from external sources. However, there is one prerequisite for this to work – Your Chromebook must have support for new developer channel to run android applications.
To install an android application using the external source. First, you need to switch to developer mode. Let us start with the detailed steps below:
Enable Recovery or Developer Mode on your Chromebook
This method will wipe out all local data and any accounts logged in Chromebook. So, it is highly recommended to back up your local data before proceeding with the steps:
- Switch Off your Chromebook
- Press and hold Esc and Refresh Key while pressing the power button to boot into recovery mode.
- Press Ctrl + D when you see a prompt to insert a recovery mode.
- Your Chromebook will boot into recovery mode within a minute or two.
You can read our detailed article on how to enable recovery mode and easily install WhatsApp on Chromebook here!
Download WhatsApp APK file
I assume you have already enabled developer on your Chromebook, we can now proceed to download APK file from the official page. You can also download APK file on your smartphone or tablet then transfer it via USB cable.
Steps to install WhatsApp APK
Follow the steps below to install WhatsApp via APK file here-
- Navigate to the directory and then select “package installer” by right-clicking on the file.
- When you see a warning prompt, click on Continue button.
- Now, to begin the installation process, Click on Install button.
- Finally, click on Done or Open button when the installation completes.
Use WhatsApp on Chromebook Easily
Well if you are just looking to temporarily use WhatsApp on Chromebook then you can use WhatsApp Web. Although, WhatsApp web on chrome os and you won’t have access to full-fledged features as an application. However, you will be able to send text messages using WhatsApp web app.
To use all the features of WhatsApp such as Audio/ video calls you will have to follow the aforementioned steps to get started. Do let us know if you face any problem installing WhatsApp on Chromebook in the comments section below.