Nowadays, the majority of American students are using Chromebooks in their classrooms; many users indeed prefer iPhones over other smartphone devices. And ultimately, it leads to incompatibility between two unique ecosystems created by Apple and Google. Yes, you guess that right, I’m talking about installing iTunes on Chromebook.
Well, in this article, i lead you with a thorough guide on how to install iTunes on Chromebook and get it working. Here we will also discuss the performance of iTunes on Chromebook.
Install iTunes on Chromebook in 2020
Here, we have thoroughly gone through how to get iTunes on Chromebook. To give you an overview of that, we are using an app called Wine – popular for running Windows apps on a Linux environment. We will install windows version of iTunes for Chromebook via the Linux container. Now, let’s go step by step on installing iTunes on Chromebook in 2020.
1. Firstly you need to enable Linux and then correctly setup Wine on Chromebook. Here you will find best-detailed guides on how to enable Linux and set up Wine on your Chromebook. Once done, you can now follow the next step.
2. Now, let us download iTunes for Chromebook. Keep in mind, iTunes, 64-bit version does not work correctly on Chromebook. Download this 32-bit version of iTunes; this is a build from August 2019 version 12.9.3.
3. Now the next thing we will be doing is rename the file to “itunes.exe” and finally move it to the Linux section.
4. Now start the Terminal and execute the command below to change Wine app architecture to 32-bit.
WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/home/yourusername/.wine32 winecfg
Make sure to change your username to the actual username you assigned on to your Chromebook. If your email ID is email@example.com then your username should be xyz123.
5. Now run the command below to start installing the 32-bit version of iTunes on your Chromebook. Make sure you change your username before you start to install iTunes on Chromebook. Click “Next” to proceed.
WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/home/yourusername/.wine32/ wine itunes.exe
6. Once the installation completes, click on the “Finish” button, there you have it. iTunes runs on a Chromebook.
Create Shortcut for iTunes on Chromebook
I assume you have successfully installed iTunes on Chromebook with a shortcut already made at the center of the App drawer. But, when you click the shortcut icon, it doesn’t open iTunes due to incorrect path value. Now, to fix the iTunes shortcut issue, follow the steps below.
1. Open your File Explorer and then move over to the Linux section. Once you open it, click on the three dots on the top right-hand side and then enable “Show Hidden Files.”
2. Now, navigate to .local > share > applications > wine – Program > iTunes. Here you will find iTunes.desktop file, it is the shortcut file that we need to edit.
Right-click on the iTunes.desktop file and then select Open with Text to open the file. Now, if you don’t have any text editor, then you can install it from here.
3. Copy and Paste the path link below and do change
yourusername to your actual path.
env WINEPREFIX="/home/yourusername/.wine32" wine "/home/yourusername/.wine32/drive_c/Program Files/iTunes/iTunes.exe"
4. Save the file. Now try opening the iTunes from App Drawer. It should launch this time.
The most disappointing thing about iTunes is that it crashes every now and then whenever you try to sign in to your account. So, you can’t access your media files nor via the cloud. All in all, install iTunes on Chromebook is a bad idea, and you should start looking for other iTunes alternatives.
iTunes for Chromebook
Now that you can get iTunes on Chromebook. While the installation is not that simple, you can definitely give it a try for once. Once Wine is set up, the process becomes a flurry. Apart from all that, on the performance side, iTunes didn’t work up well crashes whenever you try to sign in if you are still facing trouble while trying to make iTunes work, comment your issues below and let us know about it. We’ll definitely come up with a solution for you.