Having duplicate contact on your phone can be very inconvenient when you are trying to text a friend or a family member or trying to call, You may also find this very annoying when using Google Assistant to call or send a message to a contact. Don’t worry about that. There are different methods that you can follow to look to remove duplicate contacts on Android devices.
Different Ways to Find, Merge, and Remove Duplicate Contacts in Android Smartphones
In this article, we’ll have a look into three different ways by which you can use to find, merge, or remove duplicate contacts on Android devices. In the very first method, we will be using the default Contacts app that comes preloaded with Android, and in the second method, we will be using the online Google Contacts app. Finally, in the last way, we will use third-party contact and learn how to delete duplicate contacts in android. Let’s see how we can find and delete duplicate contacts on your Android.
Method 1: Remove Duplicate Contacts using Contacts Application
Google has finally made it even easier to find and join duplicate listings for the same person in the Google Contacts app.
Note: This method will only work on smartphones that are running on stock Android. If your phone has a custom UI design like Samsung’s One UI or Xiaomi’s MIUI, then the procedure for doing the same will be a little different, we’ll be talking about that a bit later in this article. It is also worth making a note you can’t merge contacts that are saved in different Google Accounts.
- Open the Contacts app.
- Tap on the ‘Menu’ icon on the top left corner and go to ‘Suggestions.’
- Now, look for ‘Clean up duplicates’ to get rid of duplicate contacts listings for that same person. Here, you can either tap on ‘Merge All’ to combine all duplicate contact at once or tap ‘Merge’ to merge all duplicate contacts one by on suggestions.
If you are also having trouble with duplicate contacts on iPhone, do read this detailed guide on how to delete multiple contacts on iPhone in 2021 here!
Method 2: Using Gmail or Google Contacts on the Web
If you have your contacts saved on your Google account and is in sync with your phone, then you can also use the Google Contacts on the web to merge or remove duplicates from contacts seamlessly. Here’s how you can do it.
- Open the Google Contacts on any web browser and then log in to your account.
- Once you’re logged in, you’ll be able to see all your contacts that you’ve synced with that very particular account. Now, in the left sidebar, you’ll find an option called ‘Duplicates‘ and click it to see all the duplicate contacts you have.
- Just like the Contacts app on the Android, you’ll see options to merge those contacts individually or merge all of them in one click. Choose whichever prefers, and your duplicate contacts will be merged into one.
Well, that was very simple. Now, let’s check out one of the third-party apps that enables you to merge duplicate contacts.
Method 3: Delete duplicate contacts using a Third-Party App
The Google Play Store is highly populated with a ton of apps that can help you combine all the duplicate contacts. So if you are confused about the right app for the task, then we suggest you check out the Duplicate Contacts Remover – Contact Optimizer app to delete duplicate contacts in android phone.
It is one of the best apps for doing this task as it shows all duplicate contacts by name, phone numbers. Additionally, the app also displays unused contacts, that can be deleted from within the app. Anyway, here’s a quick short guide on how you can use the app to find, merge or delete duplicate contacts –
- First of all, download the ‘Duplicate Contacts Remover – Contact Optimizer’ app from Google PlayStore.
- Once you open the Cleaner app, you’ll see all the duplicate contacts under an option called ‘Duplicates.’ This is where you will find duplicate contacts by name, phone numbers.
- You can select an option and select the contact that you want to merge with.
- You will find the options to merge contact or “merge all duplicates” contacts.
- Once you tapped Merge or Merge all, the duplicates will be deleted and merged into one connection.
Cleaner – Merge Duplicate Contacts is a free application with no in-app charges. Moreover, this app is available in 15 different languages, which makes it accessible to a lot of users.
How to remove duplicate contacts in Android?
To clean and stop contacts showing up multiple times android follow the steps below:
- First of all, Launch the Contacts app.
- In the top right corner, tap the hamburger button.
- Now, click on three-dots.
- Select the contact from the list and click on delete.
How to Merge Duplicate contacts in Custom UI
Follow the steps below to learn how to merge duplicate contacts in an android smartphone.
- Go to OxygenOS: Settings > Suggested Merges.
- On One UI: Open Hamburger Menu > Manage Contacts > Merge Contacts.
- Now in MIUI: Settings > Merge Duplicates.
Note: These Settings here refer to the settings of the native Contacts app.
Find and Remove Duplicate Contacts in Android
Well, some other methods and apps let you remove duplicate contacts on Android, but we found the ways mentioned above, to be the easiest ones. Do try them out & let us know if you face any issues. Also, if you have a different method that you feel is better, sound off in the comments section below.
Although, there are lots that can help you delete duplicate contacts in android. You can use 'Duplicate Contacts Remover - Contact Optimizer' to remove duplicate contacts on any android devices. Sometimes due to syncing issues between your android and email accounts can create duplicate contacts on your phone. Launch Google Contacts. Tap on Duplicates, now on the top right corner, click on the Merge all button to merge duplicate contacts in android. Launch Contacts app on your phone, and then tap and hold your finger on contacts to select it. Now scroll all your contacts and tap & select the contact from the list and then Tap on Delete to remove multiple contacts. If you usually keep your contacts synced in multiple platforms, such as Contacts, Facebook, WhatsApp, and Telegram chances are your phone will show multiple contacts of same users.
Is there an app to delete duplicate contacts?
Why are my phone contacts duplicated?
How do I merge duplicate contacts in Google Contacts?
How do I delete multiple contacts on my phone?
Why is my phone showing double contacts?
Although, there are lots that can help you delete duplicate contacts in android. You can use 'Duplicate Contacts Remover - Contact Optimizer' to remove duplicate contacts on any android devices.
Sometimes due to syncing issues between your android and email accounts can create duplicate contacts on your phone.
Launch Google Contacts. Tap on Duplicates, now on the top right corner, click on the Merge all button to merge duplicate contacts in android.
Launch Contacts app on your phone, and then tap and hold your finger on contacts to select it. Now scroll all your contacts and tap & select the contact from the list and then Tap on Delete to remove multiple contacts.
If you usually keep your contacts synced in multiple platforms, such as Contacts, Facebook, WhatsApp, and Telegram chances are your phone will show multiple contacts of same users.