Having duplicate contact on your phone can be very inconvenient when you are trying to text a friend or a family member or trying to call, You may also find this very annoying when using Google Assistant to call or send a message to a contact. Don’t worry about that. There are different methods that you can follow to look for duplicate contacts on Android.
Different Ways to Find, Merge, and Remove Duplicate Contacts on smartphone
In this article, we’ll have a look into three different ways, which you can use to find and remove or merge duplicate contacts on Android devices. In the very first method, we will be using the default Contacts app that comes preloaded with the Android, and in the second method, we will be using the online Google Contacts app. Finally, in a last way, we will use third-party contact manage. Let’s see how we can find and remove duplicate contacts on your Android.
1. Using Contacts Application On Android
Google has finally made it even easier to find and join duplicate listings for the same person in the Google Contacts app.
Note: This method will only work on the smartphones that are running on stock Android. If your phone has a custom UI design like Samsung’s One UI or Xiaomi’s MIUI, then the procedure for doing the same will be a little different, we’ll be talking about that a bit later in this article. It is also worth making a note you can’t merge contacts that are saved in different Google Accounts.
- Open the Contacts app.
- Tap on the ‘Menu’ icon on the top left corner and go to ‘Suggestions.’
3. Now, look for ‘Clean up duplicates’ to get rid of duplicate contacts listings for that same person. Here, you can either tap on ‘Merge All’ to combine all duplicate contact at once or tap ‘Merge’ to merge all duplicate contacts one by on suggestions.
2. Using Google Contacts on the Web
If you have your contacts saved on your Google account and is in sync with the phone, then you can also use the Google Contacts on the web to merge your contacts seamlessly. Here’s how you can do it.
- Open the Google Contacts on the web browser and then log in to your account.
- Once you’re logged in, you’ll be able to see all your contacts that you’ve synced with that very particular account. Now, in the left sidebar, you’ll find an option called ‘Duplicates‘ and click it to see all the duplicate contacts you have.
3. Just like the Contacts app on the Android, you’ll see options to merge those contacts individually or merge all of them in one click. Choose whichever prefers, and your duplicate contacts will be merged into one.
Well, that was very simple. Now, let’s check out one of the third-party apps that enables you to merge duplicate contacts.
3. Using A Third-Party App on the device
The Google Play Store is highly populated with a ton of apps that can help you combine all the duplicate contacts. So if you are confused about the right app for the task, then we suggest you check out the ‘Duplicate Contacts Remover – Contact Optimizer.’
It is one of the best apps for doing this task as it shows all duplicate contacts by name, phone numbers. Additionally, the app also displays unused contacts, that can be deleted from within the app. Anyway, here’s a quick short guide on how you can use the app to find, merge or delete duplicate contacts –
- First of all, download the ‘Duplicate Contacts Remover – Contact Optimizer’ app from Google PlayStore.
- Once you open the Cleaner app, you’ll see all the duplicate contacts under an option called ‘Duplicates.’ This is where you will find duplicate contacts by name, phone numbers.
- You can select an option and select the contact that you want to merge with.
- You will find the options to merge contact or “merge all duplicates” contacts.
- Once you tapped Merge or Merge all, the duplicates will be deleted and merged into one connection.
Cleaner – Merge Duplicate Contacts is a free application with no in-app charges. Moreover, this app is available in 15 different languages, which makes it accessible to a lot of users.
Merging Duplicate contacts in Custom UI
- OxygenOS: Settings > Suggested Merges.
- One UI: Open Hamburger Menu > Manage Contacts > Merge Contacts.
- MIUI: Settings > Merge Duplicates.
Note: These Settings here refer to the settings of the native Contacts app.
Find and Remove Duplicate Contacts on Android
Well, some other methods and apps let you remove duplicate contacts on Android, but we found the ways mentioned above, to be the easiest one. Do try them out & let us know if you face any issues. Also, if you have a different method that you feel is better, sound off in the comments section below.