After several rumors and speculations of WhatsApp would be launching WhatsApp Pay India soon. The Facebook-owned company is now officially rolling out payment features. WhatsApp has begun testing out its UPI-based peer to peer payments. The feature will allow its users to send and receive payments from within the app itself.
WhatsApp Pay India
Earlier, Whatsapp received a call-waiting feature in the past month. Moreover, the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) approved the launch of WhatsApp Pay India. Whatsapp Payments feature currently available only for Android users on the latest version of the app. The payment feature supports several Indian banks, including Axis, HDFC, ICICI, State Bank of India, Airtel Payments Bank.
Steps to Setup WhatsApp Payments in India
- The WhatsApp has already started rolling out WhatsApp Pay India. The users on the 2.18.46 version of the WhatsApp should be able to see the Payment option by heading over to the attachment icon.
- You’ll then be asked to select your bank from which you want to transfer the money. However, if your bank is not listed here, then, unfortunately, you won’t be able to use this feature. WhatsApp may include more banking options in later.
- After selecting your bank, WhatsApp will show you the list of accounts that have been linked to your phone number. After that, you’ll have to verify the debit/ credit card linked with your account.
NOTE – To use WhatsApp Pay, your WhatsApp number and bank account number must be the same.
- After that, your setup is complete, and you will be able to send and receive payments in WhatsApp.
Use WhatsApp Pay India
- After the setup is complete, users will be able to send and receive money to their contacts. Note, the recipient will also need to have the WhatsApp pay India.
- Since the feature is currently rolling out only for the android device, you won’t be able to send money to anyone using iOS.
This is how UPI on Whatsapp works. The blank screen is the regular UPI PIN input screen. pic.twitter.com/FqvUkSuVQB
— SG (@shrinivassg) February 8, 2018
Within over 400 million users, WhatsApp payments in India are undoubtedly trying to take over the UPI-based payment market and challenge the companies – Google Pay (formerly know as Tezz), Amazon Pay, PhonePe, and Paytm.
So, now that WhatsApp Pay is out there after a long gap. So will you consider switching to WhatsApp Payments in India in spite of its data leaks? Let us know in the comment section below.